HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH
On March 7, 1881, Father Peter Jachetti fell asleep on his train journey from Manchester to Lakehurst, missed his connection and arrived in Manasquan. While waiting for the next train, he looked around and thought about establishing a 'place by the ocean' where the Franciscans could minister to the people. Mr. Patrick McIlhenny of Point Pleasant urged Fr. Jachetti to visit the newly organized settlement of Point Pleasant City, which he did on March 29, 1881. Within days permission was granted to buy 6 lots for a friary and a church on Richmond Avenue. The church built at a cost of $5,000 was dedicated on June 29, 1882. Undaunted by the tragedy of losing the original church to fire on January 14, 1901, the pastor and congregation started over. It was then that the property on which St. Peter's Church now stands was purchased and the new church was dedicate on July 27, 1902.